Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kessel Last Pick In Draft...Snicker

All "he's a stupid douchebag" comments aside, I'm having a hard time figuring out why Ol' One Nut was in the draft for this weekend's meaningless game. I'm sure it has something to do with every team being represented, but I'm a die-hard hockey fan and to me, the All-Star game isn't hockey. I haven't watched it in years and I'm not going to this year. I just couldn't care less. It's nice to see the players get recongnized, but I'm sure they would all rather be somewhere else.
That being said, I just couldn't stop laughing when I read that Kessel had been picked last. It appears that his fellow NHLers realize what this guy brings to the table...and they don't want it. I wouldn't either.
Few things:
-I hope some of the boys use the time off to get some rest. It's at that point of the season where all the dings and small sprains are adding up. Hopefully they'll lay low and relax. I'm guessing, however, that they'll be doing jello shots off of the bellies of some college girls in a nameless bar somewhere.
-I don't think that anyone would or could have predicted that Brad Marchand would enter the break with 13 goals (four of those shorties)and having become such an integral part of the team. It was great to see one of the P-Bruins come up and really solidify his spot immediately instead of hanging around and not doing much (I'm looking at you Andy Hilbert, Ivan Huml, Martin St.Pierre, et al). His effort and drive are there every single night and his skating and ideas with the puck have improved since the first game. Great to see.
-Timmy continues to play out of his mind, including holding the fort the other night for the last ten minutes against the Panthers. If he continues to play like this and doesn't bring home the Vezina and Hart trophies, I will officially know that the voting process is a fucking joke.
-We'll know after the break what the deal with Stuart is. He might still be nursing his hand injury, but with the emergence of Kampfer and Lonewolf McQuaid's play, Stuart might have played his last game as a Bruin. I really like him as a player and would like to see him stay, but I'd be surprised if that happened.
I'll end with this. I've been a faithful subsriber to The Hockey News for over fifteen years now. They generally put together good stories and these guys (most of them anyway) seem to know their hockey. Because of that, I'll put up with the fact that their publication is so geared towards Canadians (it's the biggest hockey market and they need to make their money)and the subtle but frequent jabs they take at Americans and our hockey teams. Maybe it's because a long time ago, they published a letter I wrote about Joe Thornton (it's the issue with Theo Fleury dressed as Napoleon on the cover if anyone has old copies laying around).
I've always thought that THN writer Adam Proteau was a bit of a fucktard. He just reminds me of that kid that never played sports (or took a punch or tasted his own blood or knows what it feels like to win or lose a game) but has somehow managed to land a job where he is talking about it non-stop. It's not official yet, but Proteau is thought to have tweeted in an article regarding Savvy's concussion issues that "in a sense, Matt Cooke has been victimized, too." I'm not even going to get into it, but that comment, to me, shows that the author just doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. And I feel bad for Proteau if he ever meets Shawn Thornton in a dark alley.
Go B's.

No comments: