Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Can History Repeat?

I remember it well. April 2004. I was sitting in Houston's with some coworkers, watching the Habs beat the B's in Montreal. While the B's were still up 3-1 in the series, an uneasy feeling came over me. This particular series was especially intense for me. I was working as an intern for the Bruins and had been at every game and every Bruins event for that season. The chance of the Habs going on to win the series was impossible, right?
It was an unseasonably hot day in Boston when the B's lost the series in game 7. It was Patriot's Day. Spent the day drinking beers on Boylston, watching the runners in the Marathon go by. Hours later, I was standing in the Fleet watching the impossible slowly turn to reality. The B's were out. Upset by the lowly Habs and that dumb fuck Ribeiro. As the end of the game ticked by, I was praying that someone would just take that fuckers head off and at least give him a reason to stay on the ice. But no one did. And the B's season was over.

And now, 4 years later, can the B's find redemption? Can history repeat itself? Can a comeback so unlikely happen again between two teams? Julien has played the role of the master maestro, turning this team into a contender. If a B's team ever had a chance to do this in recent history, this is the team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, we hate Mickey Fucking Ribs, too. After his pathetic, franchise-embarassing sqirmathon, we would have HELPED the Bruins do some damage to that little puke.

There... I feel better now.